Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Random thoughts while combatting the flu




Just as I was suffering from the flu, lying in bed and lost my voice completely - I developed a deeper level of felt significance towards the sufferings of Frederic Chopin and Stephen Hawkings...


Despite a temporary cough, it can be debilitating when coupled with chronic asthma. In this regard, I can imagine how frustrated Chopin could possibly be when his mind was imbued with ideas, yet he was unable to capture them in time because of his failing health.


As I lost my voice, my only means of communication with the world was through the computer. Life hasn't changed much for me. With the computer, my fingers become my vocal cords. Considering that Prof. Hawking is only able to use one muscle to control the screen and has to flip back and forth the screen to formulate a simple sentence, yet he is able to convey the most powerful abstractions to the world. I can deeply respect his strength in enduring the obstacles in life, yet maintaining a supremely productive intellectual life.


**********


I was watching some videos on Youtube - ranging from Connections by James Burke (produced in the 1970's, yet is still relevant to this day), to videos of Stephen Hawking's theories of the Big Bang, and Michio Kaku's M and Strings theory... Inundated with all these conjectures and theories much larger than I can ever understand, I begin to wonder - if mankind dedicates such extensive efforts towards the quest of the origin of the universe with the goal of coming up with a unifying theory of everything, shouldn't we aim to find a unifying theory of mankind? Or does that even exist? Or have we already found it but aren't event aware of it? Is music one of the key unifying factors?


~ Together with these thoughts, I dozed off as the soporific efforts of the medication took over my consciousness... ~




Personal Quote:


We don't always have the power to change reality, nonetheless we can modify our perception of reality which leads us to act accordingly. Eventually we are masters of our own minds... 

~Angela Chan Sept 2009~

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete