Friday, September 25, 2009

Journal of the Inner Mind - A Musical Odyssey





Aside from being director of Lambda School of Music and Fine Arts and practical examiner for the Royal Conservatory of Music (Toronto), Dr. Angela Chan is currently working on her new book *"Journal of the Inner Mind - A Musical Odyssey", which is a diary of pedagogical reflections, and musically inspired awakenings.

If there are specific topics that you would like to be incorporated in this book, I welcome your suggestions. Please email it to:   angelachan@lambdaarts.ca


*The title "Journal of the Inner Mind - A Musical Odyssey" is copyrighted 2009

Below is a preview of the dedication chapter of this journal...

*************************************************


Journal of the inner mind
Immortal music from an untarnished soul...  


Dedication 


He was just practicing the Andante Spianato next door. We were separated by two walls and a corridor, yet no one could ever know how much impact his playing had on me, thirty feet away. Although I was toiling away on the computer, his vibrations touched my soul. The experience was sublime, so much beyond this world that no verbal description can encapsulate the expansive emotions he conveyed.

His music transcends space and time... the fluidity of his sounds brought me back twenty years - the nostalgia of being transported back in time, of listening to my first beloved perform this piece, and how innocently I took on to the challenge of learning this magnum opus, so that every time I practiced, I could relive the moments of his caresses of sounds. This music existed before us, as we live and will continue to do so even after we expire. Our existence is but a serendipitous co-incidence within a blip of time as we re-create our lives around it, and continue its perpetuation. Yet, as the music continues through our hearts and lives, it reifies into some form of tangible feelings and acts, giving us the opportunity to relive moments of the past, as if they are feelings of the moment. Music transpires into emotional and soulful sublimation.

His music reveals his soul, as much as his intensity of passion. The gentillesse of the Sheep May Safely Graze touches my heart and elevates my soul to a different plane – bringing me to the realization that the essence of music is sublime. It transcends love and all desires. That love is not about taking possession, but appreciation, acceptance and reverence. It is universal and all encompassing. It brings me to a state where my essence of being becomes larger than the sum of its whole. Each soulful tone brings me to a deeper level of transcendence - where self submerges, and minds and souls coalesce to a collective communion.

His music also inspires and gives me courage to write - to unleash emotions within my heart fearlessly through words... as much as he shares his untarnished soul through sounds at the piano. In this spirit of truth and beauty was this Journal of the Inner Mind – a Musical Odyssey conceived…

25 Sept 2009

By Angela Chan
Copyrighted Material -  September 2009
(Reproduction of content is strictly prohibited)


Angela's Quote:

"The mind of God is music resonating through 10 dimensional hyperspace" by Michio Kaku (Theoretical Physicist) - On String Theory


No comments:

Post a Comment